HELP! Buget gaming PC under £800

dnb1987 11:25 25 Oct 2010

Hi, first of all thanks for looking - all feedback would be appreciated.

I am looking to buy (not build) a new gaming pc for around £800.

At the moment I am leaning towards one of these on Ebay - click here - which also comes with a monitor!

Can anybody reccommend anything different. I have severely underestimated how much choice there is when buying a new PC and my head is now waffled!!

I have no specific preferences - just want the best spec PC for my money.

Thanks,
D

GaT7 16:10 25 Oct 2010

I would avoid that particular eBay PC as it isn't very upgradable. It has a mATX motherboard with only 3 expansion slots, the installed graphics card of which is likely to block 1-2 of those already. Also, it has only 2 RAM slots, both of which will be filled with the pre-installed 4Gb RAM. Granted, you may never need to upgrade these, but wouldn't you like to have the option?

The case & PSU will be very basic too - that's why no brand names are mentioned. If you need to upgrade the graphics card at some point in the future, you're most likely to upgrade these as well at additional expense.

However, if it's going to be a use-once-and-dump-PC (i.e. no upgrades for the life of the machine), then it may be OK. G

dnb1987 15:43 26 Oct 2010

Thank for your response.

I managed to get an i7 950 with a 1TB HDD, 6GB ram, GTX 460 graphics card, Gigabyte motherboard with Windows 7 and a 22 inch monitor from Scan for 890 - so very happy i didn't go with the eBay one!!

Ex plorer 16:07 26 Oct 2010

Hi dnb1987 nice to see you have got what you wanted could you now pleas tick the Solved box.

GaT7 19:21 26 Oct 2010

'...so very happy i didn't go with the eBay one!!'

Wise move that. Enjoy the system :-), G

Moosa 22:47 28 Oct 2010

Hi dnb, was just wondering what model it was that you got from scan as I am interested in simular specs. I have looked but I cant say I have seen anything on the site. If you could let me know I'd be greatful :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017