Help Boot-up problems

peterleemaxwell 17:16 15 Aug 2006

I need help and would appreciate any suggestions.
A friend of mine messed his tower up by half installing/uninstalling a programme. In frustration he dumped the PC with me. He runs Windows XP and it now will not start. Gets to the Logo screen and tries to load but always crashes and then goes to the start again. I have tried F11 and all the usual 'Last configuration' + 'Safe Mode' nothing works. Tried the 'DOS' C: \ type commands which I think I typed correct but it does not "see" the 'C' drive. Bit of a fix. I did try a Windows XP disc but although it will start as will the floppy drive it gets so far through and then states that it cannot go on as files are missing. I know there are experts in this forum that have helped in the past and so may know how to fix this problem. Hope to get a reply.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:05 15 Aug 2006

DOS cannot see a NTFS formatted drive.

What files are missing? NTLDR?

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

peterleemaxwell 18:25 15 Aug 2006

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\,
Thanks for your help. You are correct NTLDR files are missing. I will follow your instructions. Thanks for your help. I will let you know if I encounter any problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:55 15 Aug 2006

NTLDR Missing
If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

peterleemaxwell 19:54 15 Aug 2006

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\,
I've reached a crucial bit. As it's not my PC and the chap who's it is doesn't know his own set-up, I am faced with the screen that gives choices to where it loads windows. They are:-
C. Partition 1 (Unknown) 40963MB 40963MB Free
D. Partition 2 (NTFS) 26113MB 25864Mb Free
F. Partition 3 (inactive <OS/2 Boot Man 11068Mb
7213Mb Free
Unpartitioned Space 16Mb
What would you suggest?

peterleemaxwell 20:29 15 Aug 2006

Fruit Bat /\0/\ has maybe gone for a break, can anyone advise on my next move?

VoG II 20:33 15 Aug 2006

I would have thought that you should go for Partition 2. I'm not sure what Partition 1 is but it may be a hidden recovery partition judging from its size.

Please wait for another opinion before proceeding.

peterleemaxwell 20:46 15 Aug 2006

Thanks VoG™ for your advise

Joe R 20:53 15 Aug 2006

peterleemaxwell,

looking at your partition info above, I would have to suggest that, it looks like there is no operating system installed on the hard drive, or only part of one.

Whatever is installed on this drive, looks as if it is only taking up, in the region of less than 300Mb.

peterleemaxwell 20:57 15 Aug 2006

Thanks Joe R and thanks to all who have contributed. You all have helped tremendously.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:29 15 Aug 2006

Windows is usually installed on C: drive looks the biggest partition on your set up.

What is worrying is that it is shown as "unkown" if you format and install on c:\ it will lose any data on that partition.

Download and run testdisk click here it may well recover the partition table and restore the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?