Help! Big bootup problem

MisterPaul 09:18 12 Apr 2006

This tends to happen if I try to restart my pc, but occasionally can happen at any time.

I have a 2 year old HP pc. When I switch it on, the fan starts, and there is an amount of noise, but no beep. Then nothing happens. If I turn it back off by holding down the button, and leave it for a few hours, it is usually ok. I get the beep and it boots up fine.

I am getting a bit worried about this, as if it goes completely I fear I will lose the hard drive.

Has anyone got any idea what is going on?

Thanks

Paul

Diodorus Siculus 09:24 12 Apr 2006

I'm not sure what's going on but I would suggest you back up your data as soon as possible.

MisterPaul 21:03 12 Apr 2006

bump...

MisterPaul 15:47 13 Apr 2006

I take it nobody knows then?

SANTOS7 15:57 13 Apr 2006

No bios beeps. If you truly don't hear anything, either your computer's power supply, motherboard, or PC speaker is no good...
I would replace your PSU first if you know anybody who has a spare to test in your system (better news)
if you still have the same problem then it is likely to be your Mobo replacing that is obviously a little more complex.
As for loosing your data i do not think it is your HDD, by the same token it is wise to keep all your important files/data backed up at regular intervals as you never know, your next problem may be terminal...

Fateful Shadow 15:59 13 Apr 2006

For now I would do as Diodorus Siculus says. Get all your data backed up just incase. It sounds like something hardware related and you say it happens from time to time? Maybe a component is overheating? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to system architecture (sp?) but I'm sure someone else will have an idea

Hope this helps...somehow :)

Fateful Shadow 16:00 13 Apr 2006

Should learn to type quicker :P

MisterPaul 16:29 13 Apr 2006

Thanks.

It isn't the speakers because when it boots up properly I get the beep. I don't think it is the power supply because all the lights and the fan come on. And as it is intermittent I wonder how the motherboard could be faulty. If it boots up properly then the whole system works perfectly without a hitch. It is only when I press the on button that I find out whether it is going to boot up properly or not.

SANTOS7 16:34 13 Apr 2006

I would still try the PSU first as a process of elimination.........

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:15 13 Apr 2006

Disable "quick boot" in the BIOS

Pine Man 19:30 13 Apr 2006

I had a similar problem, sometimes it would start up sometimes it wouldn't. If it didn't then turning off and leaving it for a while usually meant it starting ok.

The cure - a new PSU (which was slightly more powerful than the original).

It's got to be the first step.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?