Help with Belkin adsl router

belkinhelp 17:48 24 Apr 2006

If you connect a belkin adsl modem with wireless g router to a phone line in one room, and have a desktop in another room with a belkin wireless g usb network adapter connected to it? Can the desktop acess the internet even though the asdl modem/router is only plugged into the phone line?

If it is possible does anyone know how?

Thank you very much.

Harpur 19:36 24 Apr 2006

if it is a modem/router then connecting to a phone line and connecting a pc via a card is ok. however, you need to hard wire to your computer to get it configured and allow the network to be setup. remember the further away from the router the degradation in signal increases. take care to setup security on it but make sure the network runs ok first. i made the mistake of not doing that then spent 2 fruitless days wondering why my daughters computer would connect. it turns out her computer was too far away and when encryption was enabled it broke a weak signal

harpur

ade.h 21:18 24 Apr 2006

click here Duplicated thread.

woodchip 21:28 24 Apr 2006

Yes it should connect wireless if the router Modem is Wireless. You do not need tp Network or have the other computer turned on. Just go into Router setup and set wireless security after you can connect first and put the same settings into wireless software on wireless computer

ade.h 21:34 24 Apr 2006

That advice does not apply to Belkin routers. Both initial setup and the configuration of Wireless settings must be done through a wired interface.

If you try to adjust any setting that even remotely affects the wireless link (ISP/ADSL settings included) on a Belkin router while talking to the router over a wireless connection, you WILL badly crash the router and it has to be reset and rebooted.

ade.h 21:35 24 Apr 2006

Re-reading your post, I'm not totally sure that's what you meant. Apologies if you were not suggesting the above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?