Help with avast anti virus program

Tony W. 10:22 28 Jul 2014
Answered

Can anybody help with the following.Each time I start my firefox browser an Avast warning comes up immediately with the following message even if I close the browser and reopen it comes up straight away again.

Avast webshield has blocked a harmful webpage or file

URL HXXP://SD.SYMCD.COM INFECTION URL:MAL

Thank you. Tony

spuds 10:31 28 Jul 2014

Not saying its the answer, but recently I have noticed that Avast as started to come up with a number of warnings regarding 'harmful pages'. So far I have ignored the messages, and all as faired well.

What I would suggest is that you do a Google search, and see if there are others seeking advice of the same warning message?.

spuds 10:33 28 Jul 2014

Forgot to add. Perhaps a scan with your computer might find something. Do you have a malware programme installed on your computer, if so, give it a try!.

rdave13 10:44 28 Jul 2014

I can only think it could be something on your home page. Try changing your home page for now to see if Avast sill flags up a warning.

Tony W. 10:45 28 Jul 2014

Hello Spuds thanks for your reply. I dont have a Malware program but I will install one now and do a scan as you suggest. Thank you.

Tony W. 10:47 28 Jul 2014

To rdave13 Thanks I will do that as well. Tony.

BRYNIT 11:03 28 Jul 2014

Avast adds a plugin "Avast Online security" I personally find it gives too many warnings so I disabled it. To disable Avast Online security press Ctrl+shift+A and go to extensions.

spuds 11:05 28 Jul 2014

If you want a malware programme, then I would suggest that you try MalwareBytes and/or SuperantiSpyware, both come with good recommendations. You can get the latest free to download and use versions from these two different trusted links click here click here

Secret-Squirrel 11:06 28 Jul 2014

Tony, I've checked the reputation of the site that Avast is blocking and it's clean so it's an Avast false-positive.

Have a read here on the Avast forum as numerous others are having the same problem this morning. Hopefully your next Avast update will cure this annoying glitch.

Tony W. 14:39 28 Jul 2014

Probmlem sorted.

A big thank you to all those who responded to my request for help.I am grateful to each and eery one of you.And thank you to Secret-Squirrel for the link you posted it was very reassuring.

An excellent forum and as usual valuable help from very knowlegeable members.

Ex plorer 16:54 28 Jul 2014

I run Avast Internet security, and have had the same problem this morning however it seems to have disappeared.

I ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing, also ran SuperAntiSpyware that found a few cookies that were suspect.

It must have been a glitch with Avast.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone