HELP! AOL/Yahoo messenger not working...

Buffbarfly 16:09 12 Sep 2003

Recently my AOL instant messenger stopped working. I have unistalled and reinstalled the program from the AOL website 2 times to no avail. I did not adjust any setting when I installed the router and both pc's worked with the aol instant messenger at the time. Now I get a message "unable to connect to AIM service" everytime I try to start the program...The help link inside the the program tells me that a proxy setting or something along those lines might be incorrect. How/where do I find out what the settings should be? and should I select the box for LAN instead of modem even though I use a cable modem?

torMentor 16:26 12 Sep 2003

but have you had any system updates lately?, I had the Brittanica software die on me when a windoze update disabled JavaVM (which runs the Brittanica interface), this was Microsofts official "security fix" (ROFL), like, if it has a problem then just disable it, highly profesional (NOT!)

Mentor.

Buffbarfly 21:23 12 Sep 2003

So are you suggesting that I try and ensure that JaveVM is enabled? I accept any/all of the windows updates automatically when they are avail., so in answer to your question, yes, I have had updates. But Windows Messenger works (of course, no one is on that program...lol)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017