HELP!! annoying problem

joaniem1947 18:30 25 Mar 2008

can anyone tell me why i have to press f1 button to get to my windows page please

jimv7 18:57 25 Mar 2008

With some motherboards, if shut down incorrectly require pressing F1 to continue, to protect the cpu, by reducing its speed.

Also by adding another boot device such as an external hard drive or memory stick.

This can also be caused by the cmos battery being run down or faulty.

joaniem1947 22:46 25 Mar 2008

CHEERS FOR YOUR ANSWER ,I HAVE NO CMOS BATTERY APPARENTLY,BUT I DID HAVE MY SOME THING DONE TO UPGRADE THE MEMORY ,AS I AM A NOVICE I DONT REALLY KNOW ALL THE TERMINOLOGY, IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN FIX MY PROBLEM ?

wee eddie 13:09 26 Mar 2008

There will be a CMOS Battery in the MOBO.

It's one of those little Silver ones, about 3/4" across.

Go to YouTube and search for "change CMOS Battery" you should get several clips about how to do the job.

You should check (and write down) the CMOS Settings before you start, so that you can check them after the new battery is installed, in case any have altered while there was no battery in.

DieSse 13:17 26 Mar 2008

Can you give us the exact and full message please.

Normally it will say

"xxxx xxxxx xxxxx"

"Press F1 to continue"

The xxxxx part will hopefully give a clue as to what's going on.

joaniem1947 13:45 26 Mar 2008

the screen says floppy disc fail(40)my pc is a zoostorm i dont know what you mean by os i`m a complete novice

VoG II 13:48 26 Mar 2008

It sounds like it is set with the floppy as the first boot drive. Have you left a floppy disk on the drive?

DieSse 14:01 26 Mar 2008

Floppy Disc Fail means the floppy disk drive is not working correctly.

Is there a floppy disk drive in the computer?

It may have failed

The cables on it may be loose.

Is this a new computer?

has the computer been moved recently?

joaniem1947 14:02 26 Mar 2008

i dont know what you mean by "have you left a floppy disc on the drive:this is what i see on screen when i turn my pc on:W7211 VMS U3.1 0609 18:12:27
PRIMARY MASTER:WDC WD8000BB-OO JHCO 05.01CO5
PRIMARY SLAVE NONE
SECONDARY MASTER TSSTcorpCD-R/RW SH-R522C TS05
SECONDARY SLAVE NONE
PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE DEL TO ENTER SET UP,SORRY FOR BEING SUCH A THICKY

joaniem1947 14:04 26 Mar 2008

MY PC IS TWELVE MONTHS OLD AND YES IT HAS BEEN MOVED RECENTLY

ventanas 14:11 26 Mar 2008

This is the historical startup screen. It used to list all your drives before moving on to load Windows. This is perfectly normal for Win98; ME etc. It's the F1 bit that's tricky. Usually this means that it's failed to detect something like a keyboard. Or perhaps a floppy disk drive. I assume you have checked VoG' and DieSse's point. There is no disc in the drive? If the floppy drive itself is the cause you could probably fix it by moving it down the boot order in the bios.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?