Help with ancient TIME pc please !!!!

STRETFORDEND08 22:36 11 Nov 2009

Hi al, im having to repair an ancient Time PC for a mate... it was riddled with viruses. I got their data off the hard drive, then rebooted and booted from several XP cds, but each time it said an upgrade had already been started, with 3 options - Continue upgrade, Cancel upgrade and do new install, Quit. I tried to cancel the upgrade and start a new installation so I could format the drive but this failed, so I then tried continuing the upgrade again this failed.

So I put the hard drive into my own pc, booted fine, canclled upgrade, formatted drive and installed XP.

I have since put the hard drive with a fresh xp install into the Time PC, but it will no longer boot from this hard drive (it just wants to boot from cd) even though it is detecting the hard drive as Primary IDE master. there is no sata drive, just a Primary IDE HDD, Cd Drive on a seperate cable, and a floppy drive on a floppy ribbon cable.
IDE HDD set to master, cd drive set to cable select on jumpers.

boot order tried -
hdd0
hdd1
cd drive

unsuccessful

hdd1
cd drive
hdd2

unsuccessful

If I allow it to boot to cd, windows setup begins to load files, then every single time when it gets to Setup Is Starting Windows, nothing happens at all. The HDD light is not flashing (although it does when you initially turn on the PC)

I have tried another hard drive, also IDE, and this does the same thing.

Any ideas please?

OTT_Buzzard 22:44 11 Nov 2009

Boot from CD in the Time PC and do a repair installation when prompted

STRETFORDEND08 22:55 11 Nov 2009

couldnt get that far mate

but may have just sorted it

disabled APIC function and then tried XP Home cd instead of one of my xp pro cds, and so far its working. seems the hardware cant handle xp pro, ill leave APIC off as it seems to cause more issues than its worth

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?