Help again with multimeter please

iqs 14:44 12 Feb 2008

click here

Hello.I have the above meter,if the link works.I posted a thread sometime ago,and a forum member called 'octal'was very helpful.

I have another request in regards to testing for example a piece of wire,a fuse, more so the on/off switch on a Pc.

How would I set the meter to check that current can/will flow through the wire for example.

Cheers all

mfletch 14:52 12 Feb 2008

Hi,

Set the meter to a suitable resistance range

click here

mfletch

iqs 14:59 12 Feb 2008

ßeta and mfletch.
I have done has you suggest,the wire I tested stated 00.0.I can assume from this that the wire is ok,and that there in no resistance.

If there is a problem with the wire,what sort of reading should I see.

Thank you both for your quick replies

woodchip 15:02 12 Feb 2008

The needle should move to ZERO not just stand still. You may have to put it on Diode test

woodchip 15:04 12 Feb 2008

If it does not move it is open, to set up put the probes together and zero meter

mfletch 15:05 12 Feb 2008

If you bring the probe ends together the needle/scale will move all the way over,

The same should happen when a fuse or wire is good

iqs 15:06 12 Feb 2008

woodchip,

The meter is digital,when its first switched on it states 1,I have crossed the leads as per the instructions in mfletch link.This produced the reading 00.0.The same as the test wire.Thanks

woodchip 15:09 12 Feb 2008

Yep that's OK

johnnyrocker 15:12 12 Feb 2008

to check a switch you will need to find both in and out connections, might be red in and out and black in and out.
then connect your meter set as already suggested to one in wire and the corresponding out wire, with switch off there should be no reading and continuity on switch on.

johnny

iqs 15:15 12 Feb 2008

woodchip,mfletch and ßeta.

I have only recently started the Pc repair course and the correct use of mutlimeters is a few months off.I was just wanted an advantage.

With your help another questions answered.But can I just ask again,what kind of reading should the meter display if a fault is present.

Thank you all

iqs 15:16 12 Feb 2008

johnnyrocker for your help.cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?