Help and advice - Possible Virus

mattr1979 15:46 16 Mar 2008

Hi,

Got a new Dell PC with Vista Home Premium. Just downloaded Bittorrent but i noticed that all my desktop items had changed to a differant logo. I decided to uninstall Bittorrent but now none of my applications open.

Everytime i click to open something, for example explorer it asks me what i want to use to open the file. I tried to use the system restore option but when i went to use it a pop up box appeared saying file not found.

I've looked at the most recent modified files, of which i noticed a file called DNA modified at the exact same time all these problems occured. Could this be the problem? Should i delete it?

I tried to get into safe mode but it wont let me.

Help and advice needed urgently....!!!

STREETWORK 16:06 16 Mar 2008

You will need to restore the PC to its former glory. Dell provides a backup installation on the drive partition. alternatly first try a system restore...

mattr1979 16:09 16 Mar 2008

System restore wont work. Just says file not found.

How does the Dell backup work?

I've tried to download some anti virus software, but whatever i download i just cant open it.

STREETWORK 16:15 16 Mar 2008

Try this

click here

rdave13 16:25 16 Mar 2008

If you have not created a restore disc and don't have a Vista DVD then have a look at this thread; click here Scroll down to BurrWalnut's post and create an iso recovery disc. Ask a friend to do it if you can't.
Otherwise contact Dell and they'll sort you out over the 'phone. My brother in law did exactly like you and ended up on the 'phone (for quite some time) and they sorted it out.

mattr1979 10:03 17 Mar 2008

Ok, i have managed to system restore from booting from the Vista DVD. Seems to have been successful. Everything works okay, although some of the application logo's still aren't right, but they work so i guess i cant complain. Ran a full scan and everything comes up clean so i guess thats the end of it.

Thanks for all your help, appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires