help / advice on DVD writer........

ShorN 11:49 24 Sep 2003

I think the time has now come to purchase a DVD writer, Ive been toying with the idea for some time but always putting it off.

Heres my concerns, i have no spare drive slots on my case so It would probably have to exchange my cd writer, would an external dvd writer be a wise option? I am also on a budget so do not fancy spending mega bucks!

I would be grateful if anyone who had a DVD writer to give there comments on it and recommendations for hardware and DVD-r's.

Ps how long would it take to burn a 2 hour movie to a DVD at 1x, 2x or 4x

Any help gratefully recieved!

Chegs ® 12:05 24 Sep 2003

I had just replaced my cd-rw for a faster version when I spotted Pioneer DVD-/+RW at a puter fair.I installed it alongside my present DVD-ROM/CD-RW drives,but quickly decided that as the Pioneer does cd/dvd burning I no longer needed the cd-rw/dvd-rom drives.I set the jumper on the Pioneer to Secondary Slave on IDE 2,and have had no prob with it.DVD media is very choosy over what it will work on,I use DATAWRITE "Yellow" media,but had a few blank dvd's given me (made by Mirror,I think)which wont burn/play on any of the DVD readers I have(just bought a standalone player)and trying to burn to them gives various errors(including locking up XP Home)Whichever burner you buy,purchase as few of various brands(if you can get "single" blanks)to try,until you find a brand that gives good results,then bulk buy as many discs of that particular brand as you need.

ShorN 20:27 24 Sep 2003

hi chegs, thanks for reply , i had heard that dvd media is a bit of a grey area....?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?