Help on ACER PCs

tburchell 20:07 30 Jan 2009

I am looking to buy a new laptop and have been advised that ACER is a good name to look for? I know nothing about this make and was wondering what others here think? I am also looking at DELL and HP too. Any thoughts?

Rahere 20:52 30 Jan 2009

You get a lot for your money with acer, I have bought 3 at least for others, no complaints from them and well made.

Dell - Good design and can be good value but they seem to have cut corners recently and hardware failures seem common. So consider a service contract essential.

HP seem to be good well made pcs, esp laptops but like acer and dell they put a lot of trial software on them so you spend a day or two clearing this out!

Just make sure you et what you need in terms of space and facilities plus you like the keyboard and screen!

tburchell 21:57 30 Jan 2009

Thank you for that!! Kind Regards, Tim.

richierich 18:50 02 Feb 2009

I own 2 acer laptops and an HP all current models and I can say the keyboard, and general build quality of the HP is far superior to the acer, like chalk and cheese.

Dipso 19:17 02 Feb 2009

My sis in law has just bought a HP and I thought it looked cheap and nasty. I suppose it depends on the model.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?