alan 2273 10:08 10 Jul 2003

I purchased an item through micro mart only to find that the recipient of my cheque altered the amount quite substantially. I have his name and his E-Mail address but Unfortunately I deleted his address. Does anyone know of a programme that can trace E-Mail addresses to get their propper address.

  h04x 10:14 10 Jul 2003

this information is quite confidential, and even though he was the one that done wrong, the company that his e-mail address is with, if it has his details they are required to keep them safe due to the data protection act, this means that they will have high security and even if you were to get them you could get done for hacking, sorry, best thing to do is alert the police and they can the persue the matter and get his address,

regards h04x

  -pops- 10:18 10 Jul 2003

Inform your bank about this. They will have the details and be able to contact the payee's bank and pursue any action necessary.

Altering cheques is viewed very dimly by both banks and the courts.


  Djohn 10:23 10 Jul 2003

Yes I agree, better to report to police and also take a copy of any information regarding the transaction to your Bank immediately, they will help to deal with this problem for you.

Your Bank will have the means of tracing the recipient of your cheque, also I'm surprised your Bank honoured the cheque considering the substantial alterations, without first contacting yourself. Good luck with sorting this matter. j.

  temp003 10:30 10 Jul 2003

In fact, the altered cheque is as a matter of law a forged cheque. The bank has no mandate from you to pay the cheque, and cannot debit your account with the forged amount, unless you have been negligent yourself in writing out the cheque or in informing the bank.

As pops says, inform the bank immediately if you haven't done so. Better still, write a letter to the bank, as sometimes banks require written objection to a bank statement. Provide documentary proof (if available) to the bank that you only wrote out a cheque for a smaller amount (e.g. if you have made a photocopy of the original cheque, or documents showing the amount of your purchase). Get the bank to make you a copy of the forged cheque for your record, in case the bank refuses to re-credit your account and you need to sue the bank.

  PA28 14:24 10 Jul 2003

Agree with all that Djohn and temp003 say above - do it quickly though. In addition, Micro Mart will presumably have your vendors' name and address as he will have placed the ad with them - you should alert them at least, so that the opportunity for another fraud through their columns is reduced. It's highly unlikely that you will otherwise benefit from this information - if he's amended your cheque substantially, I think the possiblity of a "refund" from this source is, shall we say, remote.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros