HELP

jkrd 10:06 12 Feb 2010

Recently had a major crash on my pc. Now every time i try to start it up it will boot and go through the usual process but by the time it gets to windows i get a blank screen.

I have tried a number of the repair and recovery programs but nothing has so far worked. Also my version of windows vista came pre loaded onto the pc so i am unable to reinstall.

Any suggestions - should i just go and buy Windows 7 - would this just let me reinstall my pc - not worried about losing any files.

birdface 10:22 12 Feb 2010

Have you tried starting in safe mode.
Whatever version of Windows that you are using you could borrow a disc from a neighbor or friend and do a repair or a reformat whatever you wish,if a reformat just add the keycode on the side of the computer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:28 12 Feb 2010

"my version of windows vista came pre loaded onto the pc so i am unable to reinstall."

You need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your Computer options.

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed Options
NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017