help!!

modsteve60s 11:09 09 Aug 2008

Ever since I tried to load Aol VR9 onto my (Vista) laptop I have had problems. First of all, when I tried to use it my computer froze and restarted. I tried to delete it from remove programmes. No everytime I turn on my computer it runs something called chk disk trying one steps one to three, where it only reaches half way through step two (at this it's a gamble whether it starts or doesn't. I Have tried system restore, but it says it can't do anything as the 'Disk Vista C has Errors' detecting a file system coruption on Vista C

Can anyone please advise me?

Thankyou

RobCharles1981 11:26 09 Aug 2008

Yes I can advise you.

1. A Better thread topic is better needed because "Help!!" doesn't give something to go on with.

2. Why are you using AOL?? They cause nothing but problems, there are far more better Isp's then them!

FatboySlim71 11:28 09 Aug 2008

If system restore won't work or chk disk won't complete then you may have to reinstall your operating system. Just make sure you have to hand the operating system disk and the drivers disk.

Your laptop may not have come with a operating system disk and instead it may have a hidden restore partition, personally I prefer to have the disks, but not all manufacturers now supply operating system disks with their systems.

Has I have never had a system that has had a hidden restore partition I am unable to help you further on this subject, sorry.

I dare say some of the other members will be able to advise you on this subject.

FatboySlim71 11:35 09 Aug 2008

I forgot to mention.

My advice is to not use AOL's software, it can be very problematic, admittedly you should be able to use it, but IMO you are better to use IE7 or Mozilla Firefox as your Internet browser.

click here

A lot of people think that they have got to use AOL's software when indeed this is not the case. All you need is your username and your password, you then just enter these into your modem/router page (which is usually click here) and thats it.

modsteve60s 12:14 09 Aug 2008

I have a disc titled Notebook driver. Is this the disc and how would i use it...thanks!

provider 2 12:35 09 Aug 2008

modsteve60s,

I think it might be an idea for you to start again because you seem to be getting deeper into confusion with this matter, rather than moving towards a solution.

May I suggest that you post in the Vista section on the left there? It could be an AOL software problem, but then it could also be more to do with Vista start-up, which, of course, you should refer to in your post title.

Hope this will help.

modsteve60s 13:41 09 Aug 2008

Thanks everyone, I have moved this subject to Vista help if anyone can help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:44 09 Aug 2008

you need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your Computer options.

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.
Windows Installation Disk
NOTE

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the following set of recovery options

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

Pre-Installed Options
NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

FatboySlim71 15:07 09 Aug 2008

"I have a disc titled Notebook driver. Is this the disc and how would i use it...thanks!"

The disk you mention sounds like the hardware drivers disk (basically any drivers your laptop/hardware uses/needs). But this will not contain your operating system, if there is no disk called Vista recovery disk (or similar) then I would expect that your operating system is on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

You would only need to use this drivers disk in the event that you had install your operating system, basically you would install your operating system and then you would install the drivers etc off of this disk.

I hazard a guess that your laptop doesn't come with an operating system disk, so I would see what help etc turns up in the Vista forum.

It really annoys me that a lot of computers do not come with an operating systems disk, IMO it makes it much easier to reinstall the operating system.

Hope you get your problem sorted ;-)

modsteve60s 16:26 09 Aug 2008

When I try to enter password I can't remember it (if indeed I ever had one) is there anyway of finding it out?

FatboySlim71 17:41 09 Aug 2008

What are you doing when it asked you for the password?

If you are POSITIVE that you have not set one, then is it not possible to continue without entering one?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?