HELP!!!

Viv-208691 20:44 01 Mar 2005

Hi, I just finished my essay on Word. I went to exit, and didnt save by accident. Any way of restoring???

Please help - v.urgent.

Jackcoms 20:45 01 Mar 2005

You would get a better response if your post title more accurately described your problems.

This is one of the basic rules of this Forum.

Viv-208691 20:47 01 Mar 2005

Im sorry, Im in a flustered rush. Ok, I use XP.

I clicked on th 'x' in the top right of word, forgetting i hadnt saved my work. Then it asked me if I wanted to save and I accidently said 'no'.

Is there anyway of restoring my work??

Thanks, v.urgent

LeadingMNMs 20:49 01 Mar 2005

Its possible that you may find the file in:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Word

(replaceing YourUserName obviously), however I think its likely the file will have been deleted since you told it not to save, rather than it being caused by a Word crash.

In the directory you need to go through any .tmp files, open them with Word and hope its the file your after. If that doesn't work then hopefully someone else has a suggestion.

Viv-208691 20:51 01 Mar 2005

Thanks but no, not in there.

any other ideas?

Jackcoms 21:09 01 Mar 2005

Unfortunately, as LeadingMNMs says, you have probably lost it because you deliberately closed Word.

If Word had crashed, your PC had hung or you'd had a power failure, it should have created an AutoRecover copy.

But as this was a deliberate, albeit unintentional, action on your part it has gone for ever.

Viv-208691 21:11 01 Mar 2005

Ok, cheers, I will just have to bite the bullet...

Thanks to all

numskull 21:18 01 Mar 2005

I know this will not help now, but for the future
set Word to always create a backup.

Tool, options then save tab - tick "always create
backup copy"

Jackcoms 21:26 01 Mar 2005

Even that would not have helped in this instance.

Word only creates a backup copy (.WBK) when a document is saved.

Frodo Twin had not saved his document.

phono 21:45 01 Mar 2005

Not exactly sure where the option is but Word can be set to autosave a document at specified intervals, if you enable this feature and set it to 1 minute, for example, the most work you will lose will be 1 minutes worth, also, as suggested, turn on the option to always create a backup.

Jackcoms 21:52 01 Mar 2005

You're thinking about the AutoRecover feature I mentioned earlier.

In Word click on Tools; Options; Save and tick the 'Save AutoRecover info' option.

This is only useful if Word crashes, PC hangs or you have a power failure as I said earlier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?