HELP!!

Gadge3791 18:38 07 Dec 2004

My Sister has downloaded a virus and she can not logon to her PC. She has set it up for 3 people to use but when you try and logon to any of the names on the front screen it just says it's logging off?

Any Idea what type of Virus this is and how to go about removing it? It won't start up in safe mode either?

Any Ideas what this is?

Dorsai 18:48 07 Dec 2004

For starters, what version of windows? (or is it a Linux system?)

95/98/98SE/2000/ME/XP HOME/XP PROFESSIONAL?

Then those who are more knowledgeable than me in virus fighting stand a chance. Assuming it is a virus to start with. Either way, they need to know.

Gadge3791 18:51 07 Dec 2004

Apologies, that would help abit wouldn't it!!!

It's XP

Kegger 18:54 07 Dec 2004

Hi Gadge3791,
have you tried starting as 'administrator' by selecting F8 as you boot windows XP (it is a hidden account)? and from there seeing what is amiss

Gadge3791 19:00 07 Dec 2004

Yeah tried that and it still doesn't work.

It logs her on the it says it's logging off straight away then then it goes straight back to the profile screen.

gudgulf 19:04 07 Dec 2004

From the options you get when attempting to boot into safe mode try "last known good configuration" instead of safe mode and see if that gets you back into Windows.

blocker11 19:04 07 Dec 2004

is there a way of restoring your system, aswell as personal data, as tried System restore but only restores system settings, and i want to be able to restore everything including personal data?

mattyc_92 19:07 07 Dec 2004

Does it actually log off or haven't you let it "run it's course"?
If you let it log off and restart system, it MAY unlock your system....

mattyc_92 19:08 07 Dec 2004

Also try going to the Microsoft website to see if they can help.... You never know it may help!!!!

Gadge3791 19:12 07 Dec 2004

I have tried "last known good configuration" for her and it starts it finding the configuration, slowly, then it say its logging off like before.

mattyc_92 19:20 07 Dec 2004

You will have to use third party software to restore personal data and settings... Norton GoBack is a good example, however you would have to have an healthy system to start off with. So basically if this problem didn't exist, then you could install it and prevent this program from surfacing by reverting the system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?