Heatsink fixing

Josquius 17:21 11 Jun 2006

I'm suffering overheating trouble with my computer and have been suggested the problem is the fluid beneath the processor having dried out/gone off or something of the sort.
What is the name of this stuff? I've heard heatsink compund however searching for that on computer store sites gets me nothing.

Also, how would I go about actually fixing this? I've never messed with a processor before.

Josquius 17:23 11 Jun 2006

Also- I've been suggested a pci fan for the future however is it possible to install more then one regular fan on a computer also?
I do not think a pci fan would aim the correct way.

Diodorus Siculus 17:24 11 Jun 2006

Thermal compound is what it's called.

Strange to think that it may have dried out though...

You can remove the heatsink, clean it and put on a thin layer of compound and reinstall it. But I'd get a better heatsink if I were to go down that route.

Diodorus Siculus 17:26 11 Jun 2006

As for fans, if you have a good input fan and a good output fan, that should be enough.

I've one of those PCI fans sitting in a drawer here after using it for all of 1 day - it caused poorer air circulation and temperatures increased!

ade.h 17:52 11 Jun 2006

Quality not quantity when it comes to airflow. Use efficient fans (good cfm rating) and place them carefully to create a smooth uninterrupted channel of air going (usually) front to back.

The best Thermal paste is Arctic Silver (actually worth the extra) which I have found makes an appreciable improvement over some generic pastes. click here You must use a very thin and very even layer and it is perfectly normal for it to cure in a few hours.

Belatucadrus 18:02 11 Jun 2006

Cheap Silicon thermal compound can deteriorate over time, though your overheating is more likely to be a defective fan or a build up of fluff and dust blocking airflow through the heat exchanger vanes. Check and clean first. If you do decide to change the compound, I like Ceramique click here a very good compound thermally and it's not electrically conductive, so rather safer to use if you accidentally add too much. Application instructions click here

Josquius 18:27 11 Jun 2006

So this kind of thing click here would be useless?
I've definatly got heat trouble.
Cleaning stuff didn't fix it last time.

Josquius 18:32 11 Jun 2006

Is it easy to mess up this installation?
As I said I've never done anyhting with processors and wouldn't want to fry it...

Also- that instructions are for installing as new. What different is there to do when just fixing?

ade.h 18:35 11 Jun 2006

Clean both surfaces with a xylene based cleaner, acetone, mineral spirits, or high-purity isopropyl alcohol.

Joe R 19:13 11 Jun 2006

Josquius,
the PCI fan you refer to is used mostly, for taking the hot air away from your graphics card, and will not reduce the temp from your cpu.

Belatucadrus 19:23 11 Jun 2006

"So this kind of thing would be useless?"

not necessarily, if your case isn't well ventilated then that would definitely help, I use a similar one on my PCs, compact, quiet and does the job.
But if there's a problem with your CPU cooler and it sounds as if there could be, it's a band aid not a fix. Resolve any CPU cooler problems first.

"Is it easy to mess up this installation?"

I wouldn't say it was easy, but it's not impossible, but if you follow the instructions and make absolutely sure the fan/heat exchanger assembly is replaced correctly it isn't difficult to do without messing anything up.

click here
click here

For a couple of other product links.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?