Heat sink and cooling fan problems

previadude 09:53 17 Sep 2008

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me?

I have a Packard Bell PC I believe it has the Sunshine motherboard as shown here click here

Now the point to my post...it says I should have a heatsink and fan for a LGA 775 socket but I believe I have a 448 socket heatsink and fan! It is a square fan with a green locking handle but the arm on one side has snapped and if I lock it into place the PC will not get past the initial start, so I am looking at replacing the fan and heatsink.
Will I be able to purchase a LGA 775 socket heatsink etc and just do a straight swap.
I am fairly new to PC hardware and the computer was not bought new so if you need any more info I will try my best.

I am not sure if link will work but this is the fan I have fitted at the moment
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:08 17 Sep 2008

click here LGA775

448?
any one of these click here= ?

previadude 10:16 17 Sep 2008

Thanks for the links, but does it matter which socket model I buy? Motherboard says LGA 775 yet I think the fan I have is a 448 socket? Is it a straightforward swap and will it solve the problem of the PC not booting when the fan and heatsink is locked in place or do I have a further problem?

I am Spartacus 10:39 17 Sep 2008

A normal socket 775 cooler should fit. This is probably one of the best value, high performance air coolers at the moment click here|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 Ignore the high postage, the total cost is still cheaper than other places that have it in stock.

It uses the Intel Pushpin mountings so you need to be sure they all click firmly into place. You may need to remove your motherboard to remove the existing mechanism as it sounds as though you have an unusual (for a socket 775) type mounting.

If you do need to remove the motherboard then I would recommend getting this thermalright bolt thru kit to provide a firmer mounting click here

You can buy a standard type heatsink for a lot less though click here for an example.

The CPU internal thermal system should have shut the system down before damage but you can't be 100% sure.

I am Spartacus 10:45 17 Sep 2008

Just a though, but Packard Bell may be able to supply another heatsink if it is a unusual design click here

previadude 14:29 17 Sep 2008

Brilliant thank you, I shall give it a try once I have all the bits ready, as a side note is it an easy job to replace the CPU or am I better off getting a shop to do it?

I am Spartacus 17:24 17 Sep 2008

Removing the motherboard is a question of noting where which cable connects to which slot/connector. You shouldn't need to remove the CPU, RAM, Graphics card.

I would suggest printing out the picture of your motherboard and noting the cable fittings on there.

I am Spartacus 17:42 17 Sep 2008

Forgot the usual warnings. Disconnect the Power Supply from the socket and earth yourself by touching something like an unpainted bit of radiator pipe (I've never bothered).

You need to clean the heatsink base and CPU with something like Isoproyl Alcohol. You will probably need some thermal paste although some heatsinks come with it already applied.

I use Arctic Silver click here but most others do the job. You only need a very tiny amount. Choose the guide from click here for instructions how to use it.

Maplins usually stock a couple of different versions of paste. If you need some then click the yellow envelope next to my name. I've got a few tubes of unused Thermalright paste and you can have one.

ckygoh 00:36 26 Jan 2009

Hi,

I came across your thread on pc advisor and realised you were having the very same nightmare as me... When my packard bell started cutting out I opened it to look at the fan and heat sink. I've realised that although there is 775 socket I have some weird green clippy thing that won't let me install a standard 775 heat sink... Did you manage to find a solution? Any advice would be extremely helpful!!

Thank you

previadude 01:45 26 Jan 2009

I managed to take the green clip assembly out all together which left the cpu only insitu. the new 'correct' fan then clipped on....with some difficulty remembering to use the paste first, the fixing holes were already in the mother board and with some careful pushing they clipped in ok.
I had to remove motherboard to fit it though, no problems since except for a virus :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?