Heard of this? Vista NOW not ejecting external HDD

AngeTheHippy 09:48 10 Mar 2011

Morning Chaps,

I purchased a Seagate 500gb/GO HDD in January. Until today (and I connect and back up certain documents weekly) it's been perfectly OK. This morning however, I clicked the 'safely remove hardware' icon in the sys tray and got a window: Problem ejecting USB mass storage device' - Windows can't stop your 'generic volume' device because it is in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again later'. Well there IS nothing else using the HDD, but I can clearly hear it spinning. I don't want to just pull the plug as I've heard a couple of people have wrecked their externals this way. Can you help/advise please?

Many thanks

Ange
x

woodchip 10:00 10 Mar 2011

doubled click my computer then click on c:\ now try safe remover of usb

woodchip 10:04 10 Mar 2011

forgot to say, check windows system restore is not monitoring the drive, you only need to monitor C:\ disable it for all other drives

AngeTheHippy 10:16 10 Mar 2011

Morning woodchip! Hope ya well. Funny thing is, I've just connected me Kindle (same thing really - a mass storage device) and it acted as it should - got the 'now safe to remove' window.

Just checked, SysRestore IS only monitoring c:\ drive.

Just reconnected HDD, double clicked the SysTray icon and stopped it that way. It worked. HOWEVER, I also tried that 10 minutes ago and it DIDN'T work!! Perhaps it's just confused!!!

Anyway, cheers woodchip. Let's see if it plays up again.

SeeYa

AngeTheHippy
x

AngeTheHippy 10:17 10 Mar 2011

WHAT I didn't mention was, when I just plugged it in again, the icon appeared immediately in the SysTray but it wasn't visible in the My Computer window!!

Stranggggge.....

woodchip 10:29 10 Mar 2011

u need to reboot as it stopped the usb monitoring

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires