Headset Microphone not working

Esc4p3 10:23 21 Jun 2008

I recently bought a headset with microphone. the connectors are 2 x 3.5mm one for sound and one for microphone input. My PC is a Vista one with Creative Xfi Extreme Audio. When the microphone is plugged in (via the jacks on the front of the PC) I have right clicked the speaker icon in the system tray and selected recording devices, but the microphone is shown as "currently unavailable". I have tested the microphone in another Laptop and it works fine. I have tried configuring the microphone but nothing is heard. I can hear sound in the headset when i play music etc. I have also tried plugging the m/phone directly into the jack on the sound card but no joy. My thoughts are possibily sound card drivers?

Anyone suggest anything else please...... thanks in advance.

crosstrainer 10:40 21 Jun 2008

These are the latest Vista drivers:

click here

Stuartli 10:48 21 Jun 2008

Not sure if Vista's Volume settings are similar to XP, but you probably have the mike Muted in the Recording section (there are usually Playback and Recording options for configuration available).

Esc4p3 15:24 21 Jun 2008

Deffo not muted in either the playback or recordings.

Would the audio drivers affect whether the m/phone works or not?

Stuartli 15:55 21 Jun 2008

These links may be of interest:

click here

click here

Latest drivers at:

click here

crosstrainer 15:57 21 Jun 2008

Possibly, worth re-installint them with your headset connected.

Also run the microphone setup routine from Vista control panel. This will allow you to set the levels of gain which may be too low:

Control panel> sound> set levels fos headset.

Esc4p3 17:42 21 Jun 2008

I really really hate messing with my audio drivers, but do you know what - it solved my problem. Thanks to all that replied especially crosstrainer whose link I used to get the updated drivers! Clicking resolved....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone