Headphone socket query

de_de 11:15 30 Mar 2005

I would like to enjoy my online gaming through headphones at night...my problem is I don't have a socket.

I have an MSI P4 2.4GHZ SIS648 MAX motherboard with onboard AC97 sound. Connected to this is a Creative 4.1 sound system, which I am more than happy with. Therefore I don't really want to purchase a seperate sound card.

I feel stupid asking this but is there a headphone socket type product that I could just plug into a spare PCI slot or something. Or do I need to buy a sound card?

If I need to buy a soundcard, could you recommend something that is relatively cheap and will be as good or better than my onboard AC97 / creative system (which is pretty good I think).

Thanks Paul

DieSse 11:17 30 Mar 2005

You can use the normal lodspeaker socket. If you want to have both connected at the same time, then you can get a "doubler, with one plug and two sockets, from almost ant TV/radio type shop.

DieSse 11:19 30 Mar 2005

PS - as an alternative you can get many nice headphones with a USB connector. Get one with a microphone as well, for future use talking across the web. Logitech do some nice ones - get these from any computer shop.

de_de 11:22 30 Mar 2005

I never thought of that! How stupid am i! Thanks for that, I knew it would be something simple.

Starfox 11:31 30 Mar 2005

What about USB? click here

jbp1982 12:17 30 Mar 2005

Belkin splitter from Argos £4.99.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?