HEADPHONE CONNECTIONS

Laurence_Chippenham 16:38 04 Jan 2004

I am looking to buy a new PC on-line and want to make sure the sound card I get is able to support a headphone connection.
Basically so when I plug the headphones in for games or music running from the PC (not CDs or DVDs), the speakers cut out.
Preferably without going to the back of the PC.

Do most sound cards support this or do I need to go for an expensive option with external audio HUB?
Could I use a simple jack extension cable from the back of the PC?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Diemmess 16:49 04 Jan 2004

Simple sound card currently in use is like any I have used, and when I want to use Headphones, I must swap the lead to the speakers with the one to the headphones.

It is an either/or situation, plagued only by the need to fish about in a maze of wires behind the tower to make the swap.

DieSse 17:13 04 Jan 2004

Mny PCs now have audio connections on the front as well as the back. The standard wiring of these connectors normally means that if you plug anything to the front socket, it cuts out the rear socket - which would acheive just what you want. But check with the vendor to make sure.

Also, if you find a set of speakers with a headphone socket on them, this also cuts off the speakers when you plug into it.

The switches to do this are actaully inside the sockets themselves.

Brazils 18:46 04 Jan 2004

You can get a few cheap parts from Maplins.

You need an audio splitter, which goes into your sound card, and a headphone extension cable. The extension goes into one socket of the splitter. The speaker cable goes into the other socket.

To use the headphones just plug them in to the other end of the extension, and turn your speakers off. You can leave the headphones attached and still listen to the speakers.

Laurence_Chippenham 09:21 05 Jan 2004

Many thanks all, this has helped me greatly.
Nice easy solution Brazils will use this.
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?