he can receive but not send

Krisps 17:46 17 Aug 2006

I have been asked if I can help a friend who has recently changed his service from dial up to broadband, but apparently his system will not send any emails on the broadband service, although it receives OK. On clicking "Send/Receive" after giving the "unable to receive " error message, but strangely it then proceeds to dial up on his old account and is working fine.

He has had someone check all his setings and is assured they are all correct, but I cannot understand how one service works and the other only works but only one way.

recap 17:53 17 Aug 2006

Has he checked his Internet Options setting for LAN configuration to make sure they are not set to Dial-Up?

Stuartli 18:06 17 Aug 2006

If Outlook Express is being used, then if you go to Tools>Accounts and highlight each e-mail account, you can check from its Properties>Connection tab that the LAN/ADSL network is the source to Connect to this Account using...

There should be a drop down menu (the dialup connection should also be listed).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:48 17 Aug 2006

What account? Wanadoo? Pipex? NTL? etc.

FelixTCat 18:55 17 Aug 2006

Krisps,

When he changed to broadband, did he change the outgoing mail settings in OE to use the smtp server of his new ISP?

Regards,

Felix

eedcam 19:10 17 Aug 2006

Also check in the 'from box' that it is showing his new address and not the old one

Stuartli 23:26 17 Aug 2006

I assumed that the BB was with the original dialup provider.

Kate B 01:13 18 Aug 2006

It's almost certainly the smtp server - most ISPs don't like you using any but their own. One other thought - is he definitely connecting through his own network and not the unsecured network of a neighbour? The neighbour might be with a different ISP that insists on its own smtp server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?