HDMI Connection Issues

lorenzicus 18:56 29 Dec 2014

Hi, pulling my hair out over this issue and looking for some help... I have an old Dell StudioXPS 435 running Win 7 that I decided to hook up to my Panasonic TV for watching XBMC. The TV has two HDMI ports but I've only ever been able to get one working. The graphics card in the dell only had two DVI ports so I used a DVI to HDMI converter to connect to the TV and it worked perfectly.

After I'd got it all working, I unplugged everything to set it up in the living room. After reconnecting there is no signal to the TV. When it was working, it shows AUTO then WIDE on the TV before showing the picture. Now it flicks between AUTO and WIDE every now and then but shows no picture.

Figuring it might be the HDMI cable I tried two others but this didn't help. I then thought the HDMI port in the TV might be to blame but the xbox connects fine to that port and displays. The only other thing it could have been was the DVI to HDMI converter so I bought a cheap HD5450 card with HDMI port built in. This still hasn't fixed the issue.

I'm all out of ideas at this point. Nothing wrong with the TV, HDMI cables or Graphics card. The DVI ports on both graphics cards display a picture on my TFT monitor too.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Frustrating thing is I've not changed anything since it was working. Could it be a motherboard issue?

Cheers!

BillSers 03:54 30 Dec 2014

Try restoring the TV to factory settings with everything plugged in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?