HDD suddenly not formatted?

staples printer cartridge 18:02 26 Jan 2007

I have my main HDD set up as RAID 0 and then a spare IDE which contains all my music and photos; these are backed up separatley using TrueIamge 10. Suddenly I cannot access my music/photos drive - in My Computer it it seen by the computer but is telling me that it is not formatted and asks if I want to format it now. Any ideas anyone? I have checked the integrity of the backup file on my external HDD using True Iamge but am reluctant to say yes to a format before I have explored other possibilites - like why it has happened in the first place.
I don't know if it is relevant but I recently (last 3 days) installed diskeeper Home 2007 on a trial basis; I have tried system restore to before this install to no avail.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:57 26 Jan 2007

damaged master boot record.

Try
from a command prompt

type fixmbr D:

where D is the letter of your second drive.

staples printer cartridge 19:01 26 Jan 2007

sorry but do I need to do this be rebooting or can I use the command prompt from within windows; also do i type fixmbr D: or do I type type fixmbr D:

Lastly when I use command propmt from within windows it puts me in C:Documents& Settings\My documents - do I need to run it from this location or cd.. back to just C:?
Thanks
Ian

staples printer cartridge 19:02 26 Jan 2007

that's my ignorance by the way......

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:32 26 Jan 2007

My mistake looks like you will have to run it from recovery console click here

staples printer cartridge 20:14 26 Jan 2007

Thanks for the link but I followed the instructions and when I entered "fixmbr D:" at the system prompt nothing appeared to happen; it just went to C:. So I typed exit and rebooted and the problem is still there. Any other thoughts?
Oh, I tried fixmbr D without the colon just in case; one thing the instructions state to type fixmbr [devicename] - do I need the square brackets?
Ian

staples printer cartridge 16:59 27 Jan 2007

didn't format,just used Acronis backuyp from last week and it is fine. Thanks for youe help
Ian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?