HDD S.M.A.R.T capabilities ... Disabled

cherria 20:13 19 Jan 2003
  cherria 20:13 19 Jan 2003

When I boot up my machine the message

HDD S.M.A.R.T capabilities ... Disabled

comes up for both the primary and slave disk. It doesn't cause any problems but I've always woindered what S.M.A.R.T capabilities are. I checked the mobo manual and the BIOS website without luck.

Anybody know?

woodchip 20:28 19 Jan 2003

If your motherboard supports it, go into cmos setup when you start your computer it will tell you on screen what to press it mat be Del key enable smart if you can find it. It warns of problems, if any probs with Hard Drive

woodchip 20:29 19 Jan 2003

May not Mat

cherria 20:55 19 Jan 2003

Thanks. But what are S.M.A.R.T capabilities?

woodchip 20:58 19 Jan 2003

Hard Drive protection software built into cmos

VoG™ 20:58 19 Jan 2003
  Zoneclone 21:00 19 Jan 2003

Normally under Advanced BIOS settings the HDD SMART setting is set by default to Disabled if the Hard disk is playing up this feature will warn you at boot if a problem does arise but a matter of choice whether you enable. Z

second best 01:17 20 Jan 2003

self monitoring and repoting tool or something like that. keeps a constant check on ur hdd and lets you knowe if it's got a prob. slows your comp down slightly, but not enough to notice i don't think. the guys above are quite right. i wouldn't worry about it.

Switcher 01:55 20 Jan 2003

My suggestion:-

Leave it disabled but back up your data regularly.

DieSse 10:26 20 Jan 2003

SMART is a an HDD monitoring tool built in to the Disk drive. It keeps track of operating conditions inside the drive, in order to help predict ceratin types of failure. It predicts mainly mechanical problems (the most commone cause of HDD failures), but of course cannot predict all failures (for example it clearly can't predict sudden electronic component failures).

It runs entirely within the disk drive, and so, on it's own, will not affect system performance at all.

It's normally enabled from the BIOS, and this will check what's been going on inside the drive during the power - on tests. If you want to actually keep a check on the drive during it's operation, then you need a SMART monitoring program eg click here (note that the site also has a more comprehensive write-up on SMART).

It's well worth enabling, and has saved at least one of my commercial clients a great deal of time and hassle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017