HDD showing 375gb but folders only contain 252gb

jack9418 22:52 13 Feb 2015
Answered

I have a Dell N5050 i3 running Windows 7 with a 500gb HDD. I am NOT tech savvy but recently looked at the properties of the OS(C) main hard drive. It showed 375gb of 451gb (usable of 500gb). I thought this strange as I knew I only had around 250gb of data and program files. I checked each folder in the drive and found 252gb of declared usage - 2.12gb Program Files, 3.77gb Program Files (x86), 216gb Users (which includes all video & music), 30.8gb Windows. The rest were small amounts not amounting to more than a gig between them. Therefore there is about a 125gb discrepancy that is too big to ignore but I can't account for it. All Windows programs are up to date and I have manually defragged the computer. Anyone got any ideas as to why the hard drive is showing this 'extra' usage???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:00 13 Feb 2015
Answer

What does it show in disk management?

there will be at least 8GB unallocated and may well show an unlettered partition which will contain windows tools and a recovery image.

Secret-Squirrel 09:44 14 Feb 2015

Jack, Windows can sometimes misreport free hard disk space as used. Running a disk check is quick and easy and may correct things. Right-click your C: drive icon -> Properties -> "Tools" tab -> "Check Now" button. Make sure the top option is ticked then click "Start". You'll be asked if you want to schedule it for the next reboot so answer yes and restart your PC.

If that doesn't help then a small utility called "TreeSize Free" will show you at a glance where all your hard drive space has gone. You can get it from here.

Please return with some feedback.

robin_x 11:33 14 Feb 2015

Also-

View Hidden and System Files and Folders

click here

And delete old Restore Points with CCleaner Free

(Tools > System Restore)

jack9418 22:12 15 Feb 2015

Thank you for replying Fruit Bat, Secret Squirrel & Robin!

Fruit Bat, Disk Management shows OS(C) as Healthy 451gb capacity and 62gb free. Recovery is Healthy 14,65gb and 5.56gb free.

Secret Squirrel, I did the disk check and it's showing the same figures. I shall try the TreeSize Free.

Robin, I viewed the hidden files but it all adds up to the same usage but the same 125gb discrepancy exists. I shall try the CCleaner.

I shall report back and let you all know how I get on.... Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?