HDD setup prob

Handy Spinner 13:43 12 Feb 2004

(This problem has probably been answered before)

Just bought an ExcelStor 80Gb HDD. BIOS recognises it but Windows doesn't do anything apart from building a driver database. What can I do to make Windows 98 SE see my HDD?

Thanks.

Giggle n' Bits 13:48 12 Feb 2004

Go to the Manufacuter of the HDD and look for the Driver Utility tool to help the process along.

I think the problem is your machine is a bit old and the BIOS doesn't recongise the size of the HDD there again make sure your have the Ribbon Cable going to IDE 1 and also the red line on the edge of the ribbon is alinged to PIN 1 on HDD end its the Red line to face the Molex power point.

Handy Spinner 23:44 16 Feb 2004

...is no help at all. What should be my next step? I have an Asus A7S266-VM motherboard.

kangawallafox 23:50 16 Feb 2004

Probably a silly question....
but have you formatted the new drive?
BIOS will recognise an unformatted drive, but windows will not....

©®@$? 23:52 16 Feb 2004

not a silly question at all!

that would of been my question aswell!

Handy Spinner 00:03 17 Feb 2004

...does it involve going into a command prompt? I know how to do a format from there but would not have thought of doing it that way! Please confirm!

kangawallafox 00:05 17 Feb 2004

Either that or get partition magic

Handy Spinner 00:47 17 Feb 2004

I've gone into a command prompt, but can't format the disk. What drive letter should I be using? I've tried several obvious ones, but they don't work.

Handy Spinner 12:21 17 Feb 2004

Can people guide me through formatting this disk please?

terminalfailure 15:12 17 Feb 2004

I have not done this for ages and always have to re-teach myself everytime but willing to give it a go.

Just a couple of questions:-
1 How old is the M/B

2 Have you got the start up disk you should have
made when you first installed Win98SE.

3 Have you enabled LBA mode in Bios or just run auto detect for your HD.

If you have the floppy, run from the normal DOS prompt and run F/DISK choose FAT 32 and set up any or no partitions as required ( follow on screen instructions).

This is where my memory is a bit fuzzy but can normally work round it. I can't remember if you format from this point or whether there is a logical Drive created from the start up disk and you format from there.

I am sure there must be a bright spark out there who can help, unfortunately I haven't got a spare machine to try it on. Still what I have said should do no harm. Let me know I'll be thinking about it.

SEASHANTY 15:44 17 Feb 2004

The Maxtor Guide (in .pdf format) to Installing and formatting an ATA Hard drive is available on the
Maxtor website.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017