Hdd settings IDE not Sata

iqs 18:06 20 Jan 2013

Hi, Before I installed w8 I rest my bios to defaults ,due to some tweaking .i forgot to change the hdd settings to Sata / ahci ,according to device manager the hdd,s are in IDE mode . I did a registry hack with w7 ,but had a few problems with the os hdd booting ,finally did . Can I do the same for w8. I have read that changing the bios settings would make the hdd unreadable ,s this also correct. Hope to hear from you soon ,thanks

rdave13 18:25 20 Jan 2013
  iqs 18:58 20 Jan 2013

Many thanks ,seems its more difficult then when I changed the settings in w7 . I would of assumed it would be a simple registry change .im concerned i could make things worse ,am I wrong ?, Thanks

rdave13 19:22 20 Jan 2013

This is an alternative method with the registry change already created and you need to extract it and merge I would think. Then reboot to bios and change to AHCI. http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-8-after-installation/

Both carry risks and I haven't tried either method.

In the first link, as you're already in ata mode you only need to start at 5 in the list.

Whichever method you choose make backups first. Good luck.

iqs 19:56 20 Jan 2013

Thanks rdave13 ,will have a go tomorrow ,fingers crossed ,thanks for always helping

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?