HDD queries

[email protected] 17:40 16 Jan 2006

I currently have HDD IDE fitted. I would like to add another HDD but SATA. Can two different HDD'S be run at the same time and is the cabling/connections the same?

DieSse 18:01 16 Jan 2006

*Can two different HDD'S be run at the same time*

Yes

*is the cabling/connections the same?*

No - SATA connections are quite different to IDE. Both the power connector and data cable are different. Does your motherboard have SATA connections?

Also - you can quite simply add another IDE drive if you currently only have one.

Also you can add an external drive via USB (USB2 is far preferable) or by FireWire if you have it.

[email protected] 18:18 16 Jan 2006

Hi DieSse. Situation is this: I am upgrading [more like re-building]. I am changing my A7N8X mobo for A8N-SLI, together with a new CPU socket 939. I am really worried about losing data and a bit stunned by all the preparation necessary (as advised by different forums) - backup discs, installation discs, BIOS flash floppies etc etc. My secondary PC has only a small HDD so I thought about buying another HDD to do my re-build on then any problems and I lose nothing. When all is well ;-), the 2nd HDD can go over to the secondary PC. I have been advised that SATA is better for performance and although both mobo's in question support SATA I am not certain the one "in situ" is wired as such? * are IDE and SATA two completely different HDD's or just the data transfer between? What I mean is can one HDD be both but wired in a different way? Sorry if this sounds a bit dumb but I really thought when I bought these components one just had to be careful how your installed them...Wrong...I now find myself several steps up the learning curve and more than a bit cautious ( for cautious read scared).

[email protected] 18:25 16 Jan 2006

Just a bit more. From my A7N8X manual is see I have "2 IDE Connectors (UltraDMA133/100/66 Support" and "Serial ATA Headers". From this can I deduce this is where the HDD makes contact with the mobo depending on the type?

DieSse 19:07 16 Jan 2006

*From this can I deduce this is where the HDD makes contact with the mobo depending on the type?*

Exactly so - yes.

DieSse 19:08 16 Jan 2006

*What I mean is can one HDD be both but wired in a different way?*

The two types of drive have quite different plugs and interfaces - they are distinct types and can't be used for both.

[email protected] 19:18 16 Jan 2006

OK, I think I have the understanding now - thanks. One last bit of advice if you can - external HDD's: They can be formatted and used exactly like an internal HDD provided you change the boot order in BIOS?

DieSse 19:25 16 Jan 2006

Yup.

[email protected] 19:26 16 Jan 2006

Right on. Thanks very much for the advice ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017