HDD problems

Maryp 18:12 24 Jan 2010

Last week i went to start my laptop but after the first page the screen went black with just a cursor in the top left corner. I took out the battery and restarted it and it started fine. It was ok for a couple of days then yesterday it happened again. This morning, I tried to start it up again but it got as far as this warning,
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
I looked on here and it said go into BIOS and check that the HDD is connected, so I did that and it wasn't. I looked on another site and it said try hitting it, but I didn't really want to do that, so I jiggled it a bit, and took out the battery, it did a bit of a different test and then started up ok.
I tried it again just now, as I've been out all day and it got stuck on the first page just saying 'Resuming Windows...'
Any suggestions what to do?

Maryp 18:14 24 Jan 2010

its an Acer Inspire 57152 if that helps

Jollyjohn 18:39 24 Jan 2010

With the laptop off turn it over and open any access panels - one should access the memory and another the HDD. Carefully lift out the hard drive then reseat it and close the panel.
Next time it starts properly copy all your personal data to cd/dvd and copy your favourites and address book.
Download Magical jellybean, run it and save the results. This will give you the cd keys / serial no's of installed software as the next step may be a replacement HDD and a clean re install.

Terry Brown 19:28 24 Jan 2010

To get the serial numbers and a lot more besides, try Belarc or SIW.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017