HDD not working

wednesday 13 13:43 07 Oct 2006

My 160 GIG SATA HDD won't be excepted in windows along side my other 80 GIG. shoul i try just the new one as it is 'updated successfully' at boot up.

Digital 13:50 07 Oct 2006

Have you formatted it? I don't think Windows will "see" it until you have.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:53 07 Oct 2006

My Computer - right click - select manage - disk management.

Can you see the drive in disk management? If so right click select initialise and format.

The drive should then appear in My computer / explorer.

wednesday 13 13:53 07 Oct 2006

Nothing came up like the other drive i tried (of which in the end i found was useless) so should i boot it with the drive alone? or can i do it now?

wednesday 13 13:53 07 Oct 2006

sorry, slightly late

wednesday 13 13:57 07 Oct 2006

The drive doesn't appear

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:11 07 Oct 2006

A little clarification please:

which drive is installed and working with your operating system on?

80G sata?

wednesday 13 14:12 07 Oct 2006

80G IDE (i think)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 07 Oct 2006

Ah so you are trying to add a SATA alongside an IDE.

The host PC requires a SATA controller with one or more SATA ports, such as the Promise Technology SATA150 TX2plus, which combines two independent SATA ports and one Ultra ATA port and supports up to two serial and two Ultra ATA drives (click here). In new SATA-compatible machines, the motherboard uses a controller chip that supports SATA. The Marvell 88i8030 Serial ATA Bridge Chip (click here) is one accepted device available for developers, and integrated chipsets supporting SATA are expected from leading chipset makers including ALi Corp. (click here), Intel Corp. (click here), and VIA Technologies (click here).

You'll also need new cables. Some SATA drives use different power cables and all use different signal cables, so you may not be able to use the traditional 4-pin power connectors. Serial ATA drives require power connectors with +12, +5, and +3.3 volts. Current 4-pin ATX-type power supplies provide only drive power connectors with the traditional +12- and +5-volt signals. This means your PC may need a power supply fitted with SATA drive power connectors or an adapter.

Asumming your PC has SATA connections have you loaded the SATA / Raid drivers that came with your motherboard?

wednesday 13 14:57 07 Oct 2006

the leads connectors are to the shape of the slot and again, it seemed to recognise the update at boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?