Hdd not recognised occasionally at boot up

laurieskye 05:24 09 Nov 2003

during boot up occasionally my slave hardrive wont get recognised all settings are correct etc this problem has only just began happening - im using Xp if i restart some times it will show it other times not but if i knock power off completely then restart it detects it every time any ideas ??

Gongoozler 08:41 09 Nov 2003

Hi laurieskye, I don't have any real answer to this mysterious happening, but to keep the thread live I'll air a few ideas. As I understand it, there are really 3 modes of restart. When you apply a soft restart (Start - Shutdown - Restart) the processor isn't initialised and so the BIOS doesn't start from the beginning. This is why old computers using overlay software to recognise larger hard drives than their BIOS is designed for won't recognise the full hard drive capacity using soft restart. When you do a full power down but leave the mains connected you still have 5V standby applied, so you can make use of the various optional wake-up modes (wake up on LAN, USb, modem, heyboard etc.) When you remove the power, then of course nothing is active and at switch on the computer is completely reset. I suspect that for some reason your slave drive is not being detected by BIOS without the complete reset.

oldal 09:41 09 Nov 2003

I had the same problem. Re-plugging the HDD cables fixed it. Worth a try.

FRANKMAC 09:56 09 Nov 2003

I also had this problem some time go with my old pc, it was my main hdd (c) , as oldal suggests disconnecting and reconnecting the cables done the trick, apparently the connections becomes oxodised and unplugging etc cleans then a little, ...its worth a try.

Good luck

flecc 11:32 09 Nov 2003

In addition to above, one of the faster 7200 rpm drives can take a while to get up to speed if the bearings are a bit tight or sticky so may sometimes not be ready in time when the BIOS attempts to detect it. I have one such drive and the problem occurs more when the temperature is lower.

Knocking out any "QuickBoot" feature in the BIOS can help as it lets the BIOS run the memory test first, giving more time for a "lazy" drive to get up to speed.

flecc 11:36 09 Nov 2003

Of course that dodge won't help when restarting, only when initially booting where you haven't a problem at present. I think the cables are favourite as the cause this time though, since it's a reboot problem.

laurieskye 20:57 09 Nov 2003

Well I discovered the problem the slave drive is failing,fortunatley it has given me enough time to move everything from the drive to another - we installed it into a second pc and yes exactly the same problem it wouldnt detect . thanks all for your help :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?