HDD not being recognised for what it is

jonnytub 20:45 21 Nov 2003

hi guys, could do with a hand on this one, i have the following setup:
primary ide: 40 gb hdd as master, dvd writer as slave.
secondary ide: 40 gb hdd as master and cd rw as slave.
This configuration works fine,
i added a pci ide raid card. the setup is as follows.
primary ide: another cd-rw ~(specifaclly for copying cd+g discs) and a plain old 52 speed cd-rom as slave. works fine.

the problem im having is that when i go to add another hdd (60gb) on the secondary channel of the pci ide card (as master) it is reported by my computer as a cdrom and when clicked asks for a disc to be inserted.

am i missing something obvious ? any help on this one would be appreciated. OS xp pro

Blitzer 23:17 21 Nov 2003

I can't see this really helping with your problem, but I believe it's best to keep your HD's on the same IDE connection. ie. have both your original HD's on IDE 1, and then the DVD and CDRW on IDE 2. HTH.

Sounds like you have a lot of drives there! :)

temp003 03:26 22 Nov 2003

Check in BIOS that the new hard disk is properly detected.

Then in XP Pro, My Computer, make sure that you are looking at the right drive letter (just in case there's a change in drive letter). You should have 4 Compact Disk drives only.

If you see 5 Compact Disk drives in My Computer, then something is wrong.

Try Device Manager, find the wrong entry under DVD/CDROM drives, and uninstall it (If not sure, uninstall all), and restart, and let XP redetect the hardware.

The other thing to try is click Start, Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter. With three disks, you should see Disk0, disk1 and disk2 in the bottom half, and only 4 CDROMs (CDROM0 to CDROM3). If it's wrong, click Action on the top left, and select Rescan disks to see if it helps.

jonnytub 20:56 24 Nov 2003

cheers guys got sorted eventually

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie