HDD installation problems

rolmes 14:02 26 Feb 2006

I am trying to install a second HDD. I have connected the power cable, connected the second HDD on the same IDE as the first HDD, and set the jumpers to Master/Slave (the former set to the originall HDD, the latter to the new HDD).
But when I Bootup, the message appears 'disk boot failure. Insert system disk and press enter.'
I'm sure somebody knows what to do - please advise!
Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:17 26 Feb 2006

Check BIOS that both disks are found:

Also look under 1st boot device and check is trying to boot from corrct drive i.e. IDE0 not IDE1 or visa versa.

Marsh Warden © ™ 14:19 26 Feb 2006

Have you left a floppy/CD in any of the drives. do your drives support Cable Select, if so try that, are you absolutely sure you have the Master/Slave configuration set correctly. What OS are you using?

Marsh Warden © ™ 14:22 26 Feb 2006

Also try swapping the ribbon connectors on the drive around, as they may be connected the wrong way round.

rolmes 15:06 26 Feb 2006

I looked in Bios and it shows 1st boot - floppy, 2nd boot - cd rom, 3rd boot - hdd-0. I did not think this was right so swapped the 1st and 3rd, but this had no effect. Also, no other HDD was showing.
The IDE cables are connected correctly, so i don't think it is this.
The computer does boot-up when i change the master/slave configuration of the 2 hdd, but the new hdd is not detected?
I then

rolmes 16:17 26 Feb 2006

tried each master/slave configuration but that did not work either. so i can either boot the system which detects the original hdd but not the new one, or when i change the master/slave jumper the system displays the message 'disk boot failure. Insert system disk and press enter.'
the operating system is windows.

Smiler 16:32 26 Feb 2006

Put the jumpers to cable select and see if that helps.
Otherwise the master should be at the end of the cable and the slave in the middle.
You could also try puting the new drive on the secondary ide cable.

Diemmess 16:33 26 Feb 2006

I would set the jumper on the secondary drive to CSL.
(having had similar bother some time ago it stopped being a pain when Cable Select was set!)

Theory seems to be to have Primary on the end of the data cable and Secondary on the intermediate position. Not sure why, either way seems to work, but stick with the rules.

dumb_haddik 18:30 26 Feb 2006

I had exactly the same problem with a 5400 Maxtor 40gig. I seemed to have installed the IDE cable in upside down. OOPS! Try It.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?