HDD GENIUS REQUIRED

Snrub 11:19 10 Sep 2009

Snrub
Wed, [email protected]:35

Looking in Event Viewer it shows a yellow warning triangle for hard disk with Event ID 51 repeatedly showing. A check of the hard disk with diagnostics registers OK 80% healthy on spin up. There are Hotfix methods for Event ID 51 on the Microsoft Help Line but relate to other versions of O/S and not XP which I am running. This problem is related to I/O disc response.
Can anyone help please?

DieSse
Wed, [email protected]:25

MS bulletin on Event ID51 (does apply to XP)

click here

and loads about it here

click here

You clearly need to consider that the drive may be failing - so ensure that you are keeping up to date backups.

To monitor drive performance you can load a SMART monitor, which will tell you if any drive parameters are out of kilter.

Google hard drive smart monitor for a variety of such programs.

I would be inclined to try a new data cable, too.

What does 80% healthy on spin-up mean in the diagnostic you ran? Should it read 100% if there are no problems?

Snrub
Thu, [email protected]:02

Thanks DieSse very interesting, I was aware of the Microsoft Help and Support which doesn't help for XP but the other link gives an incredible 33 pages spanning 2 years on the problem which still argues whether Event ID 51 is a hardware or software related problem.
If anyone can resolve this one they are a genius!

re: spin up, apparently as hard drives age the spin up time increases, when it drops to 60-70% this is when to think about replacement, or so Iv'e read. 80% is considered healthy

Stuartli 11:42 10 Sep 2009

It is absolutely pointless starting a new thread to reply to postings in another.

You should stick to the one thread so it all makes sense - it will go to the top of the listings with each new post.

lotvic 13:21 10 Sep 2009

Please do not double post on the same problem. It gets very confusing to those trying to help.

Please close this thread - green tick - click on Resolved

Stick to your original post for replies click here

Snrub 15:04 10 Sep 2009

Hi lotvic I stopped getting responses on the original thread. What I did find out is that HDD Event 51 is a major issue that remains unresolved hence the reason for raising a new thread in the hope that it would attract more attention from hopefully an HDD expert. In principal I accept your comments but I hope you will agree this topic would stimulate and enhance the website, its not an easy one to sort.

Stuartli 15:26 10 Sep 2009

>>HDD Event 51 is a major issue>>

News to me.

Try a new HDD cable - connection leads are a common source of problems.

Snrub 17:57 10 Sep 2009

Hi Stuartli thanks will check HDD cable.

It was news to me that HDD Event 51 is a major issue but if you follow DieSse 2nd thread it covers 33 pages over 2 years with no consensus if this is a hardware or software problem.
It is interesting that Microsoft have Hotfixes for this problem but unfortunately not for XP, so they must think it is a software problem.

Stuartli 18:29 10 Sep 2009

It's been made clear that any one of a variety of hardware or software issues could raise the Error 51 message - as has been pointed out already, it's basically a question of gradual elimination.

Not a major issue in the sense that it doesn't apply to one or two particular problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone