HDD format utilities

garby 23:28 06 Dec 2005

i am currently trying to help a friend who has
collected a number of Trojans/viruses on his HDD.
unfortunately the time before the pc shuts down
is roughly between 2 and 4 minutes, not leaving
me much time to run/load a removal program. Not
wanting to format the drive, i really can't see
any other option. is there a format utility i
can use from a floppy from the start up, which
will format the C drive for me. As you can see,
that time is the factor here!!.

viruses/trojans included are vmlib/msmsgs/intel32
generic guv/gov/bxy/ istbar.em and dialer.aoz....
the Anti-virus shuts off before any other are
named!!! plus perhaps 150 mal ware...yea i know!!!...what have i let myself in for..

Cuddles 23:38 06 Dec 2005

Boot from a 98se startup floppy, at the A> prompt type format C: / if you do not have a floppy go to click here and download one.

PSF 23:50 06 Dec 2005

Do you use Norton internet security, if you do you can boot from the cd and run a virus check on the system. It may not have the latest definitions but it might help.

DieSse 00:59 07 Dec 2005

You can take the hard drive out of the system - put it as a slave drive into another system - and run a virus check on it there (assuming there is a good, fully up to date AV in the second system.)

I've done this successfully a number of times.

Also run anti-malware programs at the same time, of course.

garby 08:03 07 Dec 2005

if i connect the infected drive to my pc as a
slave, would this affect the master drive in
any way, ie...when detected at start up or whilst
i scan to heal/delete the viruses and trojans.

Gongoozler 08:11 07 Dec 2005

Hi garby. With the drive connected as slave, no programs will run from it, so there is a minimal risk of infecting the master drive, and this risk is almost negligible if the host drive has up-to-date antivirus and you only use the setup to format the drive and not to use the data on it in any other way. I recently reformatted my hard drive in this way when a faulty RAM stick irretrievably corrupted Windows.

DieSse 10:05 07 Dec 2005

As Goongozler says - if you have a good, fully up-to-date AV on the system - it will be at no risk from the infected drive.

You can try simply cleaning it - this may give you a good working system without losing any programs or dat from it.

I've resurrected a number of very badly infected drives this way, without ever a problem. Though I did have one drive so badly corrupted that at the end of the day it couldn't be recovered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?