HDD Format - Help

tamsin 14:41 06 May 2009

I am cleaning my old PC for disposal - have used erase software to remove data successfully. Am left with WIN XP SP3 - trying to format hard disk.
Messages to DOS prompt format are "system partition is not allowed to be formatted"
and
"volume must be dismounted first" - selected Y - resulted in "cannot lock the drive. Volume still in use".

Have looked in BIOS to try disabling the drive but cannot see ID of drive in BIOS.

Please can anyone help me.

Pineman100 14:49 06 May 2009

If you've run a proper security erasure of all your data, why format the hard drive? It should be safe to leave Windows as it is.

tamsin 14:55 06 May 2009

Hi Pineman100
Problem is that I have installed this version of WIN XP on my new computer and thought it was illegal to leave it identified to me on old computer?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 06 May 2009

Boot from your XP CD into setup and select the option to remove all partioions and format the drive when that is done cancell the setup from reinstalling XP.

DieSse 23:02 06 May 2009

Doing as Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggests will do it for you.

The reason you can't format directly from the installed version of XP is that it's explicity not allowed - it would wipe out the very software that's actually running, so it would crash.

For a cleaner wipeout, download and run from floppy, Killdisk. This wipes the hard drive back to "factory" state, and stops any recovery to a prior state.

click here

tamsin 15:54 07 May 2009

Thanks for info Fruit Bat /\0/\ and DieSse. Followed your info Fruit Bat /\0/\. When I switch computer on now it loads so far and then tells me it cannot find NTLDR. Thought I would start it up again and run Killdisk. My Grey cells run slowly!! Guess I have now deleted XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?