hdd format

donatello 18:37 01 Jun 2005

Trying to format hdd on compaq system ,after reloading win 98 hdd is only showing 1.2 gb but it is actually a 4.3gd disc.Also some of the disc must not be accessible as the compaq screen keeps appearing again after format ,does anyone know how to remove this and format drive so i get the full 4.3 gb back again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 01 Jun 2005

The compaq probably has a hidden partition with its op system and drivers.

Before you attempt to format have you got All the drivers for the equipment fitted?

Boot from a 98 boot disk run FDisk to see if it will show all the partions and full size. Remove the partions and reformat.

donatello 22:38 01 Jun 2005

Have got all drivers i need but surely thier o/s and partition dosnt take up 3.1 gb with just win 98se on disc as well.

octal 06:47 02 Jun 2005

Just in case the hidden partition has been formatted in some other system apart from FAT32, start again and use Delpart, you can get a copy here: click here if you scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

This site tells you how to use Delpart: click here

donatello 12:13 02 Jun 2005

Have used FDISK on drive and it shows a 4.3gb hard disk 12 % is being used by win 98se i presume and it shows only 1% being used by the compaq data. As soon as i start a format the disk is only showing 1.2gb to format.The disk is set as fat 16 could this be the problem and how do i change it to ntfs or is this not possible.

dan11 13:18 02 Jun 2005

When you start fdisk, did it say "enlarge large disk support" or similar. If it did, you must press the y key for yes. Otherwise the maximum size will be 1.99Gb.

Try it again with the "y" and see what space you have. You may have to got back to fdisk and completely erase all drives if windows does not give you back your free space. This is easy to do, but it will mean you would have to re-install the operating system.

donatello 19:28 02 Jun 2005

Thanks for help managed to get rid of compaq loaded win 95 by using FDISK and deleting the partition it was on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?