HDD Failing

Boghound 13:30 20 Jul 2009

One of my HDD's is failing. I have two (300gb)in a raid formation. I have ordered a 1TO and wonder if I replace the old with the new would it work or id it best to do a complete reinstall of XP on new disc. If so, would I have to install XP or could I boot from an Acronis back up disc? Or do I install XP then Acronis and reinstall from there?

Batch 14:14 20 Jul 2009

What sort of RAID configuration do you have (i.e. what RAID level)?

Boghound 16:36 20 Jul 2009

Don't understand the question

Batch 07:59 21 Jul 2009

Depending upon the RAID level used, the impact of changing a drive may be trivial or severe.

See click here

and

click here

Boghound 08:21 21 Jul 2009

Thanks.......Of course it's "Raid 0"!!!!

Batch 12:20 21 Jul 2009

If you genuinely have RAID 0, then, your data is spread ("striped") across the two HDDs. There is no redundancy (which is what RAID really set-out to achieve originally, so as to provide protection against data loss in the case of a drive failure)

Theorectically, you could replace the failing 300GB drive with a 1TB drive, but in a RAID 0 configuration the smallest drive determines the amount of spacte used on each of the drives.

You also have the issue of copying the data from the failing drive to the new drive. Cloning the drive with something like Acronis True Image should do this (although in a RAID configuratuon I'm not absolutely sure if TI would do an adequate job).

In any event RAID 0 is intended to improve performance, but for virtually all non-server based installs that is highly questionable (and could make things worse).

Personally, I think you'd be better off cloning your whole 2 x 300GB RAID 0 setup on to the new 1TB HDD and using it as a single HDD (i.e. without RAID). If you've then got a spare slot in your unit, you could use the good 300GB HDD for on the fly back-ups, pagefile etc.

Here's another link that might help: click here

Boghound 14:00 21 Jul 2009

Thanks........I'm going to clone the discs with Acronis and hopefully I will just have to install new disc and everything will be ok....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?