HDD-Dynamic, offline?

Giant68 19:05 18 Nov 2006

After a nasty virus attack I decided today that although I have removed the virus, I would format my C:\ drive and reinstall. This would clean out all the clutter that i have collected over the years. I saved everything that I wanted to keep on the slave drive, a Maxtor 80GB drive set as slave. Duly reinstalled, no problem. But when I try to access the slave it shows as dynamic and offline. I have taken it out and replaced it with a 40GB drive that I had in a USB enclosure, this works fine as a slave. And put the Maxtor in the enclosure. Plug it into a suitable USB port and... it still shows as dynamic and offline. While it is not life or death I would like to be able to use the drive again and get the data back if poss.
It is formatted as NTFS, or was! On a Via KT400 mobo, 500 MB ram, Athlon XP2000. Win XP fully updated.
Anyone got any ideas??
Thanks in advance

Giant68

Giant68 09:09 19 Nov 2006

>

Jak_1 09:30 19 Nov 2006

When putting the drive into the enclosure did you remember to reconfigure the jumper to master?

Giant68 11:56 19 Nov 2006

Jak_1

Yes, jumper set to master. Since then I have also fitted it as slave in my sons PC, pretty much the same spec as mine, still the same state. Odd, but at least it shows that it must be the drive and not the PC.

Giant68

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017