HDD data access denied

filthyphil 14:18 22 Apr 2008

help my PCs hdd has a problem i couldn't get it to boot at all so i connected the hdd to my laptop to get off my data/files so they wouldn't be lost, there are two drives on the hdd c(normal)and d(data) however the d drive keeps saying "access denied" is there any way of accessing the drive? i will not be happy if i can't get these files back. (most are backed up but a few are not).
thanks in advance.

Diemmess 14:51 22 Apr 2008

Assuming you have connected using a USB case, what can you see in My Computer on the laptop?

Can you "see" the defective HD itself?

If so can you see its two partitioned drives, and can you see the contents of either?

filthyphil 16:10 22 Apr 2008

yes i can see the defective hdd and the C & D folders are there but i can only access C as soon as i try D it just says access denied??????

Diemmess 18:10 22 Apr 2008

Good.
You obviously have a live HD and if you look at this link click here= you can follow ßeta's suggestion for starters!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 22 Apr 2008

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.
To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.
click here

Access Files XP Home
Simple file sharing is enabled by default in XP Home
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
or
click here
or
click here and click on the link at part one and download the required program.
Follow the instructions and the security tab will be enabled. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY OR YOU COULD DENY ACCESS TO ALL YOUR FILES.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?