HDD backup programms

EJ1947 14:02 03 Feb 2007

Just bought an external usb hard drive and was looking at programms for backing up my complete HDD, OS and all.
I have on previous occasions used XXclone for this sort of thing but have downloaded two (free) programms . Paragon Drive Copy 8.0 and Acronis 7.0.638 which I see is an old version hence free.
I would welcome anyones experience with any of these versions of the programms.
Thanks

SB23 14:12 03 Feb 2007

I'm using the free version of Acronis. In my case, it doesn't let you adjust the compression, and only a full backup will work (for some reason an incremental doesn't want to know), for a freebie, I'm happy.
I've used the stored backup I made, and I had my pc up and running again in a matter of minutes.
Like I've said before, its free, it works for me, so I would recommend Acronis.

Steve

rawprawn 14:43 03 Feb 2007

I used to use Acronis 7, and found it very good with no problems. (I now use Acronis TI 9)

johndrew 14:45 03 Feb 2007

I use Acronis TI v9.0 (build 3677), which is very good indeed, with my external HDD . It is up to v10 now and IMHO is worth buying. Many places - like Amazon - often do discounted `older` versions when the new ones are released, so if you`re not terribly bothered about cutting edge you can save a bit of cash as well.

Technotiger 14:49 03 Feb 2007

I use Acronis 10. I think it may still be possible to get a huge 40% discount when upgrading to 10 from Acronis 7, as I did.

Cheers

Technotiger 14:50 03 Feb 2007

PS - that includes updating from the Free version.

EJ1947 14:54 03 Feb 2007

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Acronis seems popular but has no one tried Paragon?

Probabilitydrive 15:05 03 Feb 2007

I just restored my Comp back (my first attempt) with Norton Ghost.

After some initial hickups -well, having been flashed by the blue screen of death - I chose another recovery point and it worked like a treat.

Make no mistake-I cant stress enough the imortance if you have a programme such as Acronis or Norton Ghost installed.

I tried for weeks to find a solution for a CREATIVE soundcard installation problem and there came a time I just had to admit defeat..! Thats where Ghost/Acronis (in fact any other recovery programme) takes over.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone