HD ready vs. Digital TV

EFC1878 12:58 26 Jul 2007

I hope I am not asking the obvious but can somebody explain the difference between a HD ready and a digital TV. I understand thta HD relates to better picture quaility and I understand thta the Digital TV is future proofed for when the analogue signal is removed.

However is a Digital TV a way on having the freeview built-in today the TV witohut the ned for the ste top box? Am I over simplifying things but if it is then is it worth the extra costs?

Stuartli 13:23 26 Jul 2007

A Digital TV has a digital (Freeview) tuner as well as an analogue tuner for VCR standard transmission and other use such as with a VCR.

You are very unlikely to find many sets without HD compatibility, even if you never use it.

Be warned that the cheaper LCD sets around at the moment, such as a 32in for £300, do not/may not have a digital tuner and therefore will still need a Freeview set top box.

You will need an HD box to watch high definition transmissions from Sky, which all costs extra, but the picture quality is stunning.

Stuartli 13:34 26 Jul 2007

This will explain about HD and the latest technologies using it:

click here

oldbeefer2 14:34 26 Jul 2007

To add to Stuartli's answer - if you are in a difficult area for Freeview terrestrial, you could opt for the one-off deal from Sky - dish, box and installation for £150 with nothing else to pay. Gives 200 free channels (OK, most of them are rubbish) and because it's satellite based, you will be able to receive any HD enabled programmes - my daughter has just done this as the centre of Bath can't access Freeview any other way.

Stuartli 15:06 26 Jul 2007

My earlier posting had a bit of a mixed up first paragraph..:-)

Should read:

The analogue tuner provides the five terrestial TV stations (BBC1 and 2, ITV, Four and Five) and the means to continue watching existing tapes using a VCR (a VCR has its own analogue tuner to record programmes).

Quiet Life 16:10 26 Jul 2007

oldbeafer Sky HD requires an HD box and £10 a month subscription. You cannot watch HD programs on the normal Sky box.

Stuartli 17:24 26 Jul 2007

I did mention you have to pay extra for HD services, but you can also get Freesat cheaper than stated from some outlets. See, for instance:

click here

oldbeefer2 09:35 31 Jul 2007

Quiet life - thank you, I didn't realise that. I was tempted to get one, but think I will wait for the (promised) version from the BBC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?