HD light comes on and pc becomes unstable

Dan the Confused 01:55 27 Feb 2004

For just over a week now my hard disk light keeps coming on and staying on for no reason. It's usually within 2 hours of booting up. When it does this the pc tends to freeze or if it doesn't it stops at the closing down screen when i try to shut down or restart. Sometimes Norton has to fix it when I reboot.

I've run Norton System Works on it but it finds nothing wrong, either with software or hardware.

I can provide a Hijackthis log if this would help, but I'm completely dumbfounded.

Diodorus Siculus 08:18 27 Feb 2004

If using winME / XP, it may be set to do a system restore.

Alternatively, do a check for spyware. click here
Lavasoft click here
Spybot-S&D

Failing that, diable most programs that run at startup and see if it happens.

Diodorus Siculus 08:34 02 Mar 2004

------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks! By coincidence I've just downloaded and run Spybot - I drew the same conclusion. It's amazing how much gunk was in my register but it's clear now, which is a good thing whether it fixes my problem or not. I noticed an awful lot of 'myway.mybar' that was there as well.Anyway, thanks for the advice and I'll let you know if it did the trick.

Thanks for the help, I tried Ad-aware and Spybot and both did a really good job. I used a trial version of Pestscan as well and removed a couple of remaining things manually, the PC is much more efficient now.However, it wasn't adware or spyware - it was a hardware problem after all. It only happens if there isn't a CD in my CD drive, regardless of if I use it or not. Bizarre but true, I'm gonna have to get that DVD drive sooner than I intended...

Thanks for letting me know; please try to post replies here too - I don't often collect mail sent from this site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?