hd kaput,computer dead

david-336850 08:06 31 May 2004

my computer crashed whilst playing lord of the rings. turned it off and back on and it said that there are errors on the hard drive and needed to do a scan disc it started the scan found 6 bad sectors in the first 20% and then it crashed again with a continuase beeb from the bios.i turned it off and restarted and it now can not find the hard drives.
running windows 98 se 1.1 athlon cpu on 511 ram and a gigabyte m\board and ti 4200 8xagp grafic card
thanks for any help you can give me
dave

Graham ® 10:21 31 May 2004

Any beeps now, when you turn it on?

Graham ® 11:25 31 May 2004

By email:

all it does is detects my two drives ei dvd and cd rom and stops there i did once get a message that there were no hds fitted that is all

dave, please reply in the forum. It does sound like the drive has failed. You'll need the advice of one of our more experienced advisers!

GRFT 12:58 31 May 2004

Dave, do you have a boot floppy? If so, alter the BIOS boot sequence so the floppy boots first. Now try and access drive C: then DIR, and see what happens. If the drive is kaput you may get gibberish or it may not be seen at all. If the DOS fdisk command is loaded, at the A: prompt type fdisk/status. If the drive is faulty you may get a message "no hard drive installed" or something similar, otherwise the partition details will be displayed. If the latter then there could be some hope.

david-336850 08:46 01 Jun 2004

sorry about that.
there is no beeb from the bios when starting although it did start up once.would the hard drive being knackerd make it so it can not be reconized by the computer as i have two h\drives fitted.
do you think fitting a new hard drive will sort this problem. thanks Dave

xania 08:58 01 Jun 2004

No beep from the BIOS indicates that the POST is not completing. If this is the case, I would suspect that either the mobo has developed a major problem or a power failure. To eliminate the latter, can you hear any noises at all, whirring, clicking when you switch on? If no, you may simply have a power failure and require a new power pack. If yes, then I suspect that your mobo is dead. The fact that it occasionally boots up indicates that something is going rather than gone, but its just a matter of time.

david-336850 09:59 01 Jun 2004

thanks xania
i have just tried again and it is now coming up with..SEC MASTER HARD DISK S.M.A.R.T STATUS BAD.BACK UP AND REPLACE.
help what do i do.? reformat hard drive (new one)or is it some thing more. dave

david-336850 09:59 01 Jun 2004

thanks xania
i have just tried again and it is now coming up with..SEC MASTER HARD DISK S.M.A.R.T STATUS BAD.BACK UP AND REPLACE.
help what do i do.? reformat hard drive (new one)or is it some thing more. dave

Graham ® 10:13 01 Jun 2004

SMART = Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology

david-336850 10:36 01 Jun 2004

thanks graham.is this some thing that is replaced by reloading windows or is it a case of flashing the bios

jonnytub 11:03 01 Jun 2004

but i would agree with xania that there is a serious problem with your board or power supply, if you can, open the case and look for yellow, black electrical 'scarring' or a burnt smell, especially around your graphics slot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires