hd kaput??

birkdalite 21:24 03 Dec 2003

Every so often the sreen goes black and everything stops.The monitor shuts down but hd led stays lit showing still active.In sheer frustration I gave the tower case a thump( yes I KNOW IT IS NOT DONE) but then everything works ok until the next time.Would I be right in thinking that the hd is sticking and therefore needs replacing. or may it be something else?
help would be much appreciated.Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 21:27 03 Dec 2003

I would be very quick to back up my data and get a new hdd! Sounds as if it is on the way out.

Jester2K II 21:28 03 Dec 2003

The monitor shuts down - what colour does the montiro light go?

Also check the processor fan too.. Is it sticking?

But Diodorus Siculus is right - BACKUP NOW...

DieSse 21:32 03 Dec 2003

It could be a whole variety of things - including software issues - whatever it is, advice to backup your important data is sound.

How often is "every so often"?

PA28 21:37 03 Dec 2003

Yes Backup now. Thumping it when the disk is operating is an excellent way to ensure replacement, when it may be something as simple as a loose lead. Or as DieSse says, a whole variety of things.

birkdalite 09:23 04 Dec 2003

Thank you all. To answer the points raised------I have checked for loose connections,ok. the monitor led goes to amber standby,the m/b is gigabyte and the health utility shows fan ok.How often twice per day approx.Yes thumping is not agood idea but is a little better than chucking the B---y thing across the room, such is the frustration when printing a nice photograph on expensive glossy paper and it stops half way.It looks as though I will have to abide by the consensus and raid the piggy bank!!!Thanks again
Roy

Diodorus Siculus 10:10 04 Dec 2003

Are you sure that the settings for standby are not changed to something too short? Check under power options I think...

Stuartli 11:05 04 Dec 2003

If it is caused, as Diodorus Siculus suggests, by your standby settings, then next time it happens just move the mouse.

If this is the problem, your system will come out of standby mode immediately.

Stuartli 11:08 04 Dec 2003

Desktop> right click> Properties> ScreenSaver> ScreenSaver section to alter settings.

There's also a monitor tab for Power settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache