HD Failure

Mytob 19:15 14 Jan 2006

My bro is having real probs with his sata hd. He is on his 4th one now and thats going up the creek! The problem seems to be that sometimes it never spins up and others it does at startup. They tend to work for a few weeks and then just start acting up. Iv fitted them all for him and have used all the usual atistatic equipment like antistatic bands and mat so nothing wrong there. dispite him having 2 fans on the pc im susspecting its just overheated and thus damaged some part of it. I have changed the plugs round put new cables in but still not difference with it. I have also tryed the pata and sata power slots on it but no luck. Any other ideas?

ade.h 19:19 14 Jan 2006

If you have grounds to suspect overheating, put a temp-sensing sticker on the metal face of one of the drives. It's a single shot device, so run it under heavy use for a good while and then take not of its reading.

ade.h 19:20 14 Jan 2006
  Mytob 18:03 20 Jan 2006

K the sata temp is 39c and intresingly the pata is 41c but isnt having any probs? Is this to hot?

ade.h 19:10 20 Jan 2006

HDDs will start to die somewhere in the 60+ region.

Mytob 19:37 20 Jan 2006

Hmm wots killing them then? This is no 4 which has gone up the creek and there different sizes and manafactures.

ade.h 19:41 20 Jan 2006

What's the data integrity like during the life of the drives? Any signs of lost or corrupt data?

diy 19:44 20 Jan 2006

Would gyroscopic precession come into play if the hard drives were loose in the case or being moved while running click here
Or are drives built strong enough to withstand it?

Mytob 23:42 20 Jan 2006

no lost or corrupt data that i no of. This thing is only about 2 months old so it shouldnt be going up the creek yet!

Totally-braindead 23:45 20 Jan 2006

Depending on the make, what I would do is go to the manufacturers website and download the tools for the drive and run a test on the one you have now, for example seagate drives use seatools.

ade.h 23:55 20 Jan 2006

Quite often, they are generic; for example, WD's disk integrity checker will work on any internal HDD. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?