HD Cloning

COLFY 14:45 11 Aug 2006

I have installed a WD Caviar IDE HD in old computer (PIII 450)running XP SP2. Set as Slave and works as extra storage from C to E. But can not clone C to E with Migrate Easy. Message: programme requires 2 HDs you have only one. BIOS: if Slave set to AUTO will not boot.Works with NONE or USER. In BIOS Auto Detect of Slave does not work.
Rear of HD 10 pins, settings for Single; Single (standard installation);Dual (Master);Dual(Slave);Cable Select. I used Dual (Slave). Is that wrong ? Any help please.

DieSse 14:49 11 Aug 2006

Is the main drive set correctly?

Some old drives has temperamental interfaces, and don'y always work well with slave drives.

Try putting the secondary drive onto the cable with the optical drives (or even instead of them) in order to do the cloning.

Zion_Lion 15:47 11 Aug 2006

Do as DieSse say's and put the other drive as Master on the secondary channel. This also helps to eliminate confusion of drives when embarking on the cloning process (depending on which program you use).

jimv7 15:56 11 Aug 2006

Try a different ide cable.

COLFY 10:46 13 Aug 2006

Thank you all for suggestions. In the end I installed only the new drive and tried to load it but XP kept going round in circles and never got to installing the progamme. I think the BIOS is too old to recognise a larger HD. Finally old drive put back in as Master. This loaded and the new drive is now Slave and acting as additional space. Once again, thank you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?